Sunday 4 January 2009

Handle Negative Emotions Responsibly

http://womentodaymagazine.com/relationships/forgive.html

...

When we react emotionally, we often say and do things that we later regret. In many cases, it is best to delay the discussion until you've settled down, gained a proper perspective, and prayed about your attitude. This will allow you to go into it looking for a solution, rather than just being consumed with your own hurt.

As partners, you need to respect each other's need to "take five". If your spouse needs to wait a few minutes, or even a day or two, to cool down, don't press the issue. This should not be used as an excuse to avoid the discussion entirely, but it is better to take some time to clear your head than to allow your emotions to take you somewhere that you don't want to go.

http://womentodaymagazine.com/selfesteem/endviolence.html

BREAKING THE CYCLE OF VIOLENCE

Why I Forgave My Assailant

by Steven McDonald

...

I often tell people that the only thing worse than a bullet in my spine would have been to nurture revenge in my heart. Such an attitude would have extended my tragic injury into my soul, hurting my wife, son, and others even more.

...

Of course, I have my ups and downs. Some days, when I am not feeling well, I get angry. I get depressed. There have been times when I even felt like killing myself. But I have come to realize that anger is a wasted emotion. So I forgive that young man all over again, and every time I tell my story, I think of Shavod (Jones), and I forgive him.

People often ask if I forgave Shavod right away, or if it took time. It has evolved over fourteen years. I think about it almost every day. I was angry at him, but I was also puzzled, because I found I couldn't hate him. More often than not I felt sorry for him. I wanted him to find peace and purpose in his life. I wanted him to turn his life to helping and not hurting people. That's why I forgave him. It was also a way of moving on, a way of putting the terrible incident behind me.

...

Reprinted from the Bruderhof Forgiveness Guide. Used with permission.

Detective Steven McDonald of the New York City Police Department was shot in the line of duty in 1986 and paralyzed from the neck down. Today he speaks at New York-area school assemblies about forgiveness and nonviolent conflict resolution (see http://www.BreakingTheCycle.us). He lives on Long Island with his wife Patti Ann and son Connor.

...

http://health.yahoo.com/stress-videos/deepak-chopra-on-marital-conflict/lime--DCConflict.html

Deepak Chopra on ... Marital Conflict

What causes a husband and wife to quarrel? Deepak Chopra reveals the factors which lead to marital problems and offers suggestions on how to combat it, such as observing rather than judging, expressing emotions instead of playing the victim, and exposing vulnerabilities.

*

http://health.yahoo.com/stress-videos/deepak-chopra-on-managing-stress/lime--DCManStress.html

Deepak Chopra on Managing Stress

Is stress a necessary part of life ? Deepak Chopra explains how stress is an important aspect of day-to-day living. By skillfully dealing with stress, your life becomes full of exhilaration and prevents stagnation.

No comments:

Post a Comment